Our office remains open and ready to serve existing and new clients. We are committed to giving professional client representation in these stressful times. Please contact our office by phone or by email with any questions or concerns you may have, and an attorney will contact you promptly.

Contact Us Today For Help!

Auto Insurance and Traffic Accidents in Illinois

If you’ve been in a car accident, you know how important it is to have auto insurance. This is especially true if you were at fault in the accident. Illinois is an at-fault state, which means if you caused the accident, you will have to pay for the damage done to the any other vehicle involved and provide compensation for any injuries anyone else suffered. Your auto insurance will usually cover all of these costs.

Insurance Requirements

Illinois requires anyone who lives in the state and has a registered motor vehicle to have auto insurance. Your policy must include at least $20,000 in personal injury coverage. This covers any injury or fatality a person receives when in an accident. It applies to both you and anyone else. You also must have an additional $40,000 in coverage to cover the costs of an accident that involves more than one person.

The third insurance requirement is $15,000 in property damage coverage. This includes damages to other automobiles, anything in the vehicles that was damaged, and any damages to buildings or other property.

These figures represent the minimum amount that the state of Illinois requires all drivers to have. Most insurance companies recommend that you purchase a policy that covers more than this amount. If you’re the driver at fault in an accident and the costs exceed the amount of coverage you have, you are likely going to be liable for paying anything beyond what your policy is for.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Unlike some states, Illinois requires all drivers to have uninsured motorist coverage. This policy will cover any damages and injuries you incur if you’re hit by a driver who does not have insurance. If you didn’t have uninsured motorist coverage, you would have to cover all of your medical bills and pay for any repairs your vehicle needs since the at-fault driver had no insurance.

This coverage has to be equal to the amount of Bodily Injury Liability coverage you have. You have to have at least $20,000 of coverage per person or at least $40,000 per accident of uninsured motorist coverage. However, while these amounts are required by law, you can lower the amount of Bodily Injury Liability you carry. If you decide to do this, you must submit a written statement to your insurance company.

Uninsured motorist coverage will provide compensation for injuries incurred by you, anyone who lives with you, any other person driving your vehicle (providing you gave them express permission to do so), and any passenger with you.

In an Accident? Contact the Attorneys at Frederick and Hagle

Have you been in an auto accident? If you have, you need the assistance of an experienced legal team. The personal injury attorneys at Frederick and Hagle are here to ensure that you receive the compensation you’re due. We will make certain your case is presented professionally and timely so that you are not left facing large medical bills while you wait for the insurance to pay out or for the court to hear your case. Contact us today to discuss the particulars of your accident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *